BENEFITS OF SELECTING PROPER SHOES
The small appendage at the end of our body that we call the foot is actually more important than we realize,this is the foundation on which we stand. Our feet bear the whole body weight and stabilize the body as we run, twist or dance.
Even the simple act of walking may be huge strain. Many of us do not know that we walk about one lakh miles in a lifetime and all the weight is borne by our feet. So we must know that wearing a proper pair of shoes is the kindest thing we can do for our feet.
Lets’s start with shoe wear selection
Certain foot problems have now been clearly identified to be unique to societies wearing “fashionable” or incorrect shoes as “barefoot” societies DO NOT suffer from these problems.
1. We must realize that shoe size is important, and may vary among different brands. The standard sizing systems for shoes is based on averages and no size will be absolutely accurate for you. Additionally, minute changes in sizes may be seen with different types of leather or synthetic material also. So never select shoes by size marked inside. Instead, try them on and see how you feel, especially while standing.
2. All of us have one foot slightly larger than the other. When you measure your feet, measure them both by trying on both shoes.Please understand that with unequal foot size, you must comfortably fit the larger foot, even if the second shoe feels too large on the other foot. An innersole or heel pad can be added to the larger shoe to tighten the fit, but a tight shoe will be a problem you can not correct.
Since our feet expand sideways when we stand and walk, try on shoes during standing and walking for proper size. There should be about 1 cm width between your longest toe and the end of your shoe, and always try on shoes with socks.
3. Another important point is to go shoe shopping in the evening, during the day our feet swell due to activities and gravity, and if the shoes fit in the evening, they will never feel too tight. After choosing the right shoes make sure that you walk with the shoes on for at least 5 minutes before purchasing them.
4. Make sure that the ball of your foot fits comfortably in the widest part of the shoe. Also there should be some comfortable “wiggle” room for your toes. Your heel should fit comfortably into the shoe, with little or no slippage.you should not purchase shoes that feel too tight, expecting them to “stretch” to fit. Although there will be some moulding with the passage of time,most materials, including leather, do not stretch enough to make a difference, and you may end up with uncomfortable shoes.
5. In children size of shoes is double important, not only should you leave some room for growth when you buy them, you should also ensure that they are somewhat loosely fitted in the first place. Although somewhat cumbersome, shoes with laces, which allow adjustments, are perhaps the best for children during their growth years.Never buy your child a shoe that looks good, looks are only for parents.
High heels and a tight toe box significantly contribute to forefoot deformities, which once established, can be corrected by Surgery. If women must wear high heels they should not be more than 2 inches high. If the wearing of these cannot be avoided, try not to stand in them for too long.
Patients with heel pain, knee arthritis and back problems are definitely benefited by soft insoles or air cells in shoes.Some shoes shaped like foot have been designed with separate compartments for different toes, but these are at experimental stages and are focused on athletes only.